A mobile app goes through multiple development stages as it transitions from concept to finished product, with testing being one of the most important stages. Without comprehensive testing, enterprise mobile applications may lack the reliability and performance needed to effectively support major business goals or help employees work with increased efficiency. In this mobile application testing tutorial, you’ll learn how test automation can help reduce testing time and improve overall app quality, how to determine if automation is the right testing strategy and how to run a basic test using automation.
Why Automate Native and Mobile Web App Testing?
Running automated tests can help QA teams more efficiently navigate some of the challenges of mobile app testing. When you consider the overwhelming number of mobile devices and operating systems on which an app needs to function, as well as how quickly new devices and operating systems are made available, it becomes clear that manual testing simply isn’t efficient enough for an agile-focused development environment. The speed at which apps are released to market limits the amount of manual regression testing that can be done. By automating regression tests, you can ensure that new development doesn’t cause existing functionality to break while also allowing the development team to focus on closing out sprints on schedule.
In addition to saving time, automated mobile app testing can help testers avoid human errors that are harder to eliminate with manual testing. For example, a tester could forget to run a manual test or skip it due to time constraints. With test automation, neither of these scenarios happen. In addition, automated tests run with fixed data, eliminating keying errors. With automation, test results can be recorded to ensure the test was done accurately and a repository of previously run tests is established. Testers can get precise and detailed information from that test database that feeds directly into their next round of tests, making them more effective and efficient.
Top 5 Important Questions to Answer for Automation Testing
Before launching into an automated mobile application testing tutorial, testers need to determine whether automation is the best approach. Here are a few best practice questions to ask before automating any test that was previously completed manually:
- Is the test sequence of actions well-defined?
- Does this test sequence need to be repeated multiple times?
- Can the sequence of actions be automated?
- Does the mobile app behave the same whether its tested using automation or manual testing?
- Do you need to use the same testing across multiple operating systems or phone configurations?
If testers answer yes to any of these questions, then a test is a good candidate for automation.
How to Create Automated Native and Mobile Web Application Tests
Moving from a manual testing process to test automation expedites and improves the manual processes currently in place. Here’s a basic mobile application testing tutorial as a starting point for automation.
- Select a mobile app testing tool that leverages your existing web or desktop test automation solution. This will reduce the learning curve and provide the team with a testing environment that is consistent with the testing process already in place, extending existing skills to mobile with little to no additional training.
- Focus on automating tests that need to be run multiple times. One-time tests are not worth the test development time.
- Ensure the test cases selected for automation are up-to-date and compatible with the newest mobile operating systems.
- Use a data-driven automation testing framework to allow testers to work with reusable, variable data to test multiple scenarios. These scripts can iterate over large sets of verification data, and are ideal for large testing and repetitive environments.
Automated mobile application testing is becoming a necessary practice for enterprise test teams. With this mobile application testing tutorial and tools that extend existing automated testing solutions to mobile, testing teams can become more efficient and create more reliable tests.
Don’t forget to download our eBook on Amazon, to stay ahead of the curve in 2017!
To check out our latest posts, click here!