In today’s world, mobility has become a “game changing” force. Companies today know that they must find ways to enable mobile options for their enterprise and customers. To take advantage of these new business opportunities, IT organizations are looking for ways to deliver better applications more quickly and with lower costs.
Along with these new opportunities come new testing challenges:
- Rapid Rollout Schedules—The rapid growth of the application market comes with an expectation of equally rapid rollouts of application improvements and bug fixes.
- Testing on multiple mobile platforms—The proliferation of iPhones, iPads, and an increasing variety of Android devices have further complicated testing mobile applications. Because there are no industry-wide standards for operating systems or device hardware, this is not a simple task.
- Dealing with a variety of connectivity modes—Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G, all of these ways that mobile devices connect can exponentially multiply the number of tests you need to run.
- Creating end-to-end tests—Today, mobile applications are expected to integrate seamlessly with other platforms. Place an order with your iPhone app? That order better show up properly on your website. Making sure that your application works correctly through both your front-end and back-end systems is mission critical.
- Mobile testing tool availability—Current tools for recognizing screen objects for web and PC applications do not work for applications on mobile devices.
The ability to manage these challenges is critical to successfully implementing your mobile strategies. One way to meet the challenge is to create a “game changer” of your own. Now you can leverage the same automation testing strategies you use for the web to test mobile apps.
imageN was inspired by the challenges experienced by IT, quality assurance, and mobile testing professionals to find a tool for mobile automation testing that offered true test integrity. The tool needed to be easy to use and to provide the ability to do scripting across multiple platforms with minimal configuration changes.
What makes imageN different? imageN uses your existing investment in HP’s QuickTest Professional™ tools. As a certified add-in to HP’s QTP, imageN lets your testers create automated tests for mobile applications using the same VBScript language they currently use for testing web applications. This ability to use your team’s existing skills and knowledge can get you up and running quickly.
imageN also provides a way for a tester to create screen objects for mobile applications in a manner similar to creating objects for testing Web applications in QTP. After the screen objects are defined, they are readily available within QTP to begin the script building process.
imageN supports the following mobile platforms at this time:
- iPhone® and iPad®
- Android™ phones and tablets